After you have been accepted for studies at RTU, paid tuition fee for the first study year and a security deposit, RTU will prepare and post full admission package to the indicated address in your online application (Admission Letter, Agreement for studies at Riga Technical University, Invitation Letter in Latvian language, Guarantee Letter in Latvian language, Verification of academic qualifications in Latvian language).
Prepare and submit the following documents to a Latvian consular mission in a foreign country for the RP application:
- A definite sample form for a residence permit request find HERE;
- Two recent passport-size photos;
- Originals of your educational documents (to be legalized);
- A signed study agreement (provided by RTU) you shall sign it as well;
- A statement on punishability issued by a competent institution of the citizenship or the host country, it is valid for 6 months (to be legalized);
- An evidence that you have sufficient financial means of 6000 EUR/per year.
A bank statement/letter must be on your name; your full name must be written as in the passport, date of birth and final account balance of your account; this letter must be signed and stamped by bank official! Validity of the statement is 3 months.
DEBIT or CREDIT card must be affiliated with the account for use abroad.
- A valid travel document recognized in the Republic of Latvia;
- Tax duty fee applies to submit a residence permit application, for more information click here;
- A document verifying the anticipated place of residence in the Republic of Latvia (provided by RTU if will be staying at students dormitory).
Documents for RP application are sent by the appropriate Latvian consular mission in a foreign country to the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) for a document revision.
If a residence permit has been granted by the OCMA, you will receive an email on the outcome of the residence permit application from the University.
Based on positive RP decision, obtain a 30-day visa at a Latvian consular mission abroad to enter the Republic of Latvia.
Note! If your residence permit has been approved but visa request rejected or your resident permit has been rejected, RTU will refund your study fee.
Note! The documents for your residence permit application can be submitted in Latvian, English, French, Russian or German.
Note! Certification of document authenticity (legalisation) is not a notarial act. Unless there are international agreements in force that provide for a different procedure, all documents issued in other countries have to be legalized. Legalisation – Certification of Document Authenticity. Certification of document authenticity (legalisation) means verification of signature and seal of a document. It is performed by a Consular Officer in order the documents drawn up in one country were in force in another one. Legalisation also implies confirmation of the legal status and authority of the signatory.
If your education degree/diploma and/or police clearance certificate is issued by countries on this list, then you have to legalize (apostille) your documents only from that country, where your documents are issued by the responsible institution. If your education degree/diploma and/or police clearance certificate is issued by country, which is not on that list, then you have to do double legalization – from the country, where your documents is issued and from Latvia side. From Latvian side you have to do legalization (apostille) in the embassy (by diplomatic/consular mission of Latvia in the relevant country) after legalization (apostille) of you country.
Please find more information on legalization.