Step 1- PHD study proposal
To apply for doctoral studies Riga Technical University, potential applicants, first, have to submit a PhD study proposal by sending it to the representative of the faculty, which is equivalent to your study field.
Study proposal needs to set out the central issues or questions that you intend to address during your Doctoral studies. It should outline the general area of study within which your research falls, referring to the current state of knowledge and any recent debates on the topic. It has to demonstrate the originality of your proposed research. The proposal is the most important document that you submit as part of the application process. It gives you the opportunity to demonstrate that you have the aptitude for Doctoral level research, for example, by demonstrating that you have the ability to reflect complex ideas clearly, concisely and critically. The proposal also helps us to match your research interest with an appropriate supervisor.
Step 2 – Preparing the documents
Prepare a scientific plan with the assigned scientific supervisor. Submit the completed scientific plan, along with a recommendation by the scientific supervisor, during registration.
Step 3 – Registration
Register for Doctoral studies here: apply.rtu.lv. Create an account to complete the online application. It is possible to edit and complete the application in multiple sessions.
After completing sections for personal data and motivation letter, please upload:
- A scanned copy of passport identification pages;
- CV – detailing your educational background and professional experience, if applicable;
- A scanned copy of Elementary and Secondary schools certificates, Bachelor and Masters Degree or other equivalent qualifications (official final certificates and transcripts required;
- English language proficiency certificate or other acceptable information, according to the set language requirement by the Riga Technical University;
- Study proposal;
- Scientific plan;
- Recommendation letter from scientific supervisor at RTU;
- Publications, if applicable.
Note: Before SUBMITTING online application, please check if all your information is correct!
Conditional Admission letter is issued ONLY if all the required information is submitted and is correct.
Application fee is EUR 150 (non-refundable) per student. Online application is processed only after application fee received. Applicant will receive an invoice with the necessary details to make an international money transfer via bank when creating online application.
For better service, candidates are requested to upload receipt of application fee payment on the system.
NOTE: Candidate covers all bank commission fees for international transfer.
Step 4 – Final application examination
Once the first 3 steps have been fulfilled, a request to schedule Skype video interview will be sent via online application system within 3 working days.
After receiving all required documents they are sent by the University to ENIC/NARIC Center for evaluation. The ENIC/NARIC Center evaluates foreign qualifications. This process may take time up to 1 month. Several cases may take longer.
Receive admission results after all the above steps of application process are completed.
List of representatives for scientific work in faculties
- Civil Engineering – Dr. sc. ing. Jānis Kaminskis: email@example.com
- Material Science and Applied Chemistry – Dr. chem. Ieva Jaunzeme firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mechanical Engineering, Transport and Aeronautics – Dr. phys. Aleksejs Kataševs:email@example.com
- Electronics and Telecommunications – Dr. sc. ing. Vjačeslavs Bobrovs: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Power and Electrical Engineering – Dr. sc. ing. Andra Blumberga:email@example.com
- Computer Science and Information Technologies – Dr. sc. ing. Aivars SPALVIŅŠ: firstname.lastname@example.org